May 11, 2011

Day 3: My Parents

My parents. . . I have no idea how I'm supposed to do this entry, but as it is part of the challenge, I'm going to have to give it a try.

My mom and dad got married when my mom was the tender young age of 16. Six months later (less than a week before her 17th birthday) I was born.

I'm not going to go into all the gruesome details of my childhood and what I learned from my parents. I definitely learned what an unhealthy relationship looked like, though. Not that it stopped me from walking straight on into several of my own. But at least I knew how to recognize it once I was there.

Mom and dad divorced while I was in college. As harsh as it sounds to admit, I think it was the best thing to happen, at least for mom and myself. Because that's when Don came into our lives.

Don treated mom with the love and respect that she had been denied for so long. And he still does. He taught  her how to be gentle and caring (she's always been loving in her own, somewhat abrasive way, but now she can do it with tenderness). He respects and honors her, loves to be around her, and accepted her kids almost as his own.

Especially me. Don has always treated me with the love of a father, the way a good father would and should care for his daughter. His love and respect toward my mother proved to me that relationships can be happy, healthy and full of love. I've never seen my mom happier than she's been since he's been around. I noticed that my dating choices became more selective the more I watched the two of them, as I tried to find my own relationship that mirrored theirs. And when I finally found it, there was no doubt that I would ask Don to fill the role of "father of the bride".

I admire my mom for her strength and wisdom. She does what she believes is right, even if it goes against the ideas of those around her. She knows what she wants to do and does it, and when she doesn't really know, she tries anyway. She was brave enough to do what she felt was best for her family, even when everyone around her told her not to. And she protects her family with a passion. Most people like to use the "mama bear" metaphor, but let me tell you, I'd pity any mama bear who tried to take on my Mama Bear.

I admire Don for his sensitivity and love. He showed me that relationship can be worth it. And even though he doesn't realize it, he's helped me deal with the disappointment of my past so that I can look forward to the future without feeling held back by pain.


I'm lucky to have parents like mom and Don. I hope that Jeff and I can show our children the same love and respect for one another and teach them to never settle for less than that.

No comments: