May 22, 2011

Day 14: Someone Who Fascinates Me

Okay, before I start this one, I want to make it very clear that I am drawing a clear distinction between the words "fascinate" and "admire". It's possible to admire someone but not really be fascinated by them (as Steph so wonderfully proved in her day 14 challenge). It's also possible to be totally fascinated by someone you have no admiration for at all. This happens to be one of those cases.

My fascination is not so much on one particular person, but rather a "type" of person. For the sake of people who might get overly concerned that I have a twisted mind, I'll stay focused on the fictional versions of the real life people.

As strange as it sounds, I find the criminals represented on Criminal Minds to be intriguingly fascinating. Not because I'm impressed with their deviant behaviors and disregard for human life, but rather because I find it fascinating how differently their minds work from the rest of society. It boggles my mind to try and understand what it is in someone's brain that makes them think it's okay to kill someone just for the sake of killing them, what defect is happening in their pleasure center to make them only satisfied at torturing another human being, what damage has happened for them to disregard the social norms for something understandable to only them. The harder they are to get caught, the more fascinated I become.

Stories about people like the Boston Strangler and Jack the Ripper intrigue me. I abhor what they do to other people, but there's some part of me that wishes I could sit down with them and really hear their side of the story, their thoughts on the matters. I wish I could study their brain functions and really get into how their minds work.

No fear, my friends, there are heroic types that fascinate me too. Sherlock Holmes, although fictional, is another of my major fascinations. I guess what it really comes down to, is I'm fascinated by people who use their brain is ways that are different than the norm. Whether for good or evil, whether I approve or not of the use, doesn't change the fact that their brain works differently than most men and women. And that is what really fascinates me.

Maybe I should have been a counselor or psychiatrist. The brain fascinates me and those people on the fringe of society really make me think.

Does that make me twisted?

No comments: