Dec 29, 2009

SNOW!

Today was a totally cool day. I found out that Steph was in town with the kids visiting her family and we made plans for her to come by and see me during lunch. I'm so used to her being surrounded by a herd of youngens that I was somewhat surprised when she walked into my office all by herself. She had managed to convince her parents to watch the kids while she "went to lunch with her girl friend." She joked that she felt so grown-up. It was nice being able to have lunch and an entire uninterrupted conversation with my friend. And as a bonus, she brought me a little gift: Reese's Peanut Butter Cups! She's such a great friend.

Yum!

As we returned to my office, we made some comments about how different the weather was from last year at this time. Last year we had tons of snow, but this year, nothing. We compared what little whiteness we had seen in our two cities this year: me and our short-lived morning frosts, her and her longer-lasting frost. Sad, but that's how Washington weather works. You never really know what you're going to get.

And as if to prove that point, a few hours later I got an email from another friend saying that Clakamas was getting some snow. Not fair! As I was replying to her, I looked out my window and noticed that the sky had changed from a cool blue to a steel grey. Cool! And wait. . . do I see what I think I see? Is that. . . SNOW?!?!

The entire office seemed to realize it at the same time because we all started moving from window to window to make sure we weren't being tricked. Nope, snow was falling steadily from every window in the wing. Awesome!

By the time I left for work, we had already accumulated quite a bit. So much so, that some that lived a bit farther out had left work early to avoid the dangerous roads. I stayed because the payroll office has to remain open and when I walked out at 5:00 pm, this is what I saw:

My excitement for the snow faded quite a bit when the 20 minute drive home took me over an hour to make, but as soon as I was once again safe and sound inside my warm apartment with my dog, the excitement returned. As far as I'm concerned, let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

1 comment:

Steph said...

Yeah, it took me about an hour and a half to get from my parents house out of Vancouver. I didn't get above 35 MPH until I got to Centralia! Crazy drive!